These are a pair of shorts i made from a pair of my ex's jeans. And sorry to disappoint you but i didn't cut them up out hatred of for closure. He completely destroyed them playing football waiting for a bus, ripping the fabric at the crotch beyond repair (i have sewn up many of his jeans countless times) and i got them for scrap fabric.
- I started by cutting the length of the legs still keeping the shorts quite long at this stage and keeping the bottom of the legs for scrap.
- I then unpinned the waist band and belt loops and then unpinned the front back and side seams. (I kept the back yoke, pockets and zip in, basically because I'm lazy)
- using the scrap denim i patched up the larger holes in the fabric and darned the smaller ones.
- I then pinned and tacked the front and back pieces back together, putting them on to check fit and adjusting.
- once i was happy with the fit i sewed the seems together using a flat welt down the center front and back, reversed lapped seam along the outer leg this left the edges exposed for a more distressed look and a kind of patchwork lapped type seem along the inside legs.
at this point i would have reattached the waist band and belt loops, only they went walkies, so I'm leaving that off, but it adds to the distressed effect.
- I then cut the shorts to length and dipped in bleach. (unfortunately they turned orange not white/gray, but nether mind.
- once rinsed and dried I continued by adding dome studs to the back pocket and the front and dripped and distressed the fabric.
i love the outcome, now i just need to get out and wear them ;)